The undersigned communist and workers parties express their grave concern about the recent developments in the Persian Gulf which pose significant threats to world peace.
The pronouncements of the US administration clearly indicate that it intends to deploy every tool at its disposal to coerce the Islamic Republic of Iran (IRI) to submit to its hegemonic designs in the region.
They recall the decision of the Trump administration in May 2018 - in complete contravention of world public opinion - to take the USA out of the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPoA) agreement with Iran. This decision, taken despite global appeals, including by the UN, has significantly increased tension in the region and has raised the threat of a new devastating war in the Middle East.
They have been concerned about the imposition of economic, banking and monetary sanctions on Iran, which has undermined its economy and resulted in the widespread closure of factories, economic freefall and an increase in unemployment and poverty.
The communist and workers parties strongly condemn the US administration and its hawkish representatives such as Mike Pompeo and John Bolton for initiating the rising tension and threats of military action on Iran, as well as the use of economic sanctions as a means of starving the people of Iran into submission. It further believes that these actions are having a disastrous impact upon the continuing struggle of the Iranian people for peace, sovereignty and social justice, as well as for human and democratic rights.
The aim of US policy regarding Iran is to secure the undisputed domination of US imperialism and its allies in the region. The actions and policies of the US administration on Iran have been and continue to be coordinated with those of the governments of Israel and Saudi Arabia.
They are concerned that if the current escalation of aggression by the US and its allies in the Middle East is not curtailed and reversed, the potential for a new and disastrous war, with unpredictable consequences for peace and stability in the region and globally, is real and enormous.
The peace-loving forces of the world must work in unison to promote détente and denounce foreign intervention in Iran’s domestic affairs.
The future of Iran and its political system is a matter that should be determined by the Iranian people and them alone. The communist and workers parties, together with all progressive forces in Iran, reject foreign intervention in their country under any pretext.
They call on all forces campaigning for peace and disarmament globally to condemn the US administration and its Saudi and Israeli allies’ politics of confrontation with the Islamic Republic of Iran in contravention of the UN Charter.
We say No to Sanctions and No to War on Iran.
The names of the parties signing this statement:
1. PADS, Algeria
2. Communist Party of Australia
3. Party of Labour of Austria
4. Communist PArty of Austria
5. Communist Party of Azerbaijan
6. Communist Party of Bangladesh
7. Communist Party of Belgium
8. Workers Party of Belgium
9. Communist Party of Brazil
10. Communist Party of Britain
11. New Communist Party of Britain
12. Communist Party of Canada
13. Communist Party of Chile
14. Socialist Workers' Party of Croatia
15. AKEL (Cyprus)
16. Communist Party of Bohemia and Moravia
17. Communist Party in Denmark
18. Communist Party of Finland
19. French Communist Party
20. German Communist Party
21. Communist Party of Greece
22. Hungarian Workers’ Party
23. Communist Party of India
24. Communist Party of India (Marxist)
25. Tudeh Party of Iran
26. Iraqi Communist Party
27. Communist Party of Kurdistan-Iraq
28. Communist Party of Ireland
29. Workers Party of Ireland
30. Communist PArty of Israel
31. Communist Party (Italy)
32. Communist Refoundation Party
33. Jordanian Communist Party
34. Socialist Movement of Kazakhstan
35. Lebanese Communist Party
36. Socialist Party, Lithuania
37. Communist Party of Luxembourg
38. Communist Party of Malta
39. Communist Party of Mexico
40. Popular Socialist Party- National Political Association, Mexico
41. Nepal Communist Party
42. Communist Party of Norway
43. New Communist Party of the Netherlands
44. Communist Party of Pakistan
45. Palestinian Communist Party
46. Palestinian Peoples Party
47. Philippine Communist Party [PKP 1930]
48. Communist Party of Poland
49. Portuguese Communist Party
50. Romanian Socialist Party
51. Communist Party of Russian Federation
52. Union of Communist Parties-CPSU
53. Communists of Serbia
54. South African Communist Party
55. Communist Party of Spain
56. Communist Party of the Peoples of Spain
57. Communist Party of the Workers of Spain
58. Communists of Catalonia
59. Communist Party of Sri Lanka
60. Sudanese Communist Party
61. Communist Party of Swaziland
62. Communist Party of Sweden
63. Syrian Communist Party
64. Syrian Communist Party (Unified)
65. Communist Party of Turkey
66. Communist Party of Ukraine
67. Communist Party USA
68. Communist Party of Venezuela
Galizan People’s Union (UPG)
Party of Communists USA
Party for Socialism and Liberation, USA
The statement is open for further endorsements